1. Where was the signing of the Batman's Melbourne Treaty with the local aborigines in 1835 now generally accepted to have been located?
2. How many years was William Buckley living with the aborigines?
3. Why did David Collins move the Sullivan Bay (Sorrento) settlement to Risdon Cove, Van Diemen's Land?
4. Who was the first European to state that the present site of Melbourne was the best place for a settlement?
5. Name two of the three Henty brothers who were at the Swan River (Western Australia) settlement prior to arriving in Launceston (Van Diemen's Land) and then Portland?
6. What was the name of, and in what year, did the first assigned immigrant ship arrive at Port Phillip?
7. Where were the "falls" located on the Yarra River?
8. Who constructed the chimney on John Batman's house at Batman Hill (Melbourne)?
9. What was the name used for the settlement on the Yarra River at Port Phillip (particularly in Sydney) prior to it being named Melbourne?
10. What was the original name given by Governor Richard Bourke to the present Exhibition Street?
11. What was the name of the surveyor who laid out the design and streets of inner Melbourne?
12. Name two of the three conditions laid down to purchasers of land in the first land sale in Melbourne on 1 June, 1837?
13. Why was the layout of the city (Central Business District) skewed from the true east/west and north/south?
Pioneers Quiz No. 1 |
Back to Home Page