1. Three streets in Melbourne 3000 are named after early Supreme Court Judges. What are their names?
2. Brunswick was famous from the late 1840's for what useful article used in house building?
3. Belfast is the former name of which Victorian coastal town?
4. Melbourne is named after Lord Melbourne. What office did he hold in the British Parliament?
5. The first settlement in Victoria took place in 1803. Where was it?
6. Who is said to have written in his journal, "This will be the place for a village"?
7. The Victorian gold rush began in which year?
8. Where was the Eureka Stockade, and in which year did the rebellion take place?
9. Name the rebel leader who was subsequently elected to Parliament?
10. Henry Dendy was the founder of which early Melbourne suburb?
11. Sandridge was the former name of which Melbourne suburb?
12. Before a bridge was built across the Yarra River, how did the pioneers get their vehicles across?
13. What was the old name for the present day Coburg?
14. Name the vessel which brought John Pascoe Fawkner's party to the site of Melbourne in 1835?
15. Name the first newspaper published in Melbourne?
16. What was the name of the newspaper first published at Melbourne on 3rd January, 1840?
17. Emigrants whose passage money was paid by Government were known as what type of emigrants?
18. Victoria was settled in 1835 by people from where?
19. The first assisted immigrants to arrive direct from England arrived on which vessel?
20. What was the occupation of Robert Hoddle?
21. Charles Joseph La Trobe arrived at Port Phillip in October, 1839. What was his title?
22. Who succeeded Sir Richard Bourke as Governor of N.S.W.?
23. Who did Sir Charles Fitzroy succeed as Governor of N.S.W.?
24. Who succeeded Mr. La Trobe as Lieutenant Governor of Victoria?
25. The suburb now known as Fitzroy was first known by what name?
26. In which year did Edward Henty settle at Portland?
27. The 'overlanders' from the Sydney side followed the track of which explorer?
28. Who named Arthur's Seat?
29. What was the name bestowed upon Victoria ( or the Western District part of it ) by Major Mitchell?
30. The Lamb Inn was situated in which Melbourne street?
31. Who wrote 'The Chronicle of Early Melbourne'?
32. Why is Georgiana M'Crae remembered?
33. Who was the first mayor of Melbourne?
34. Who was the "Father of Separation", ie; separation of Victoria from N.S.W.?
35. South Melbourne was formerly known by what name?
36. Who was the first resident Judge of the Supreme Court for the District of Port Phillip?
37. In which street in Melbourne was the Registry of Births, Deaths Marriages?
38. Where in Melbourne is Chancery Lane?
39. What was removed to make way for Spencer Street Station?
40. What formerly occupied the site of the Queen Victoria Market?
41. Who is reputed to have built the first brick chimney in Melbourne?
42. Near which Victorian town is the Mahogany Ship supposed to lie hidden under sand dunes?
43. Which Melbourne suburb is named after C. J. La Trobe's estate?
44. What was the name of the syndicate ( represented by John Batman ) that attempted to acquire land from the natives?
45. Who was the architect of St. James Old Cathedral?
46. Name the hills close to the westward of Geelong?
47. Name Victoria's oldest inland town?
48. What was the former name of Exhibition Street?
49. What was the term used to designate an occupant of Crown Land who grazed sheep or cattle?
50. Mary McKillop was born in which main thoroughfare in Fitzroy?
Pioneers Quiz No. 2 |
Back to Home Page