The Victorian town of Trawalla, east of Beaufort and 41 km west of Ballarat, is named after an aboriginal word meaning 'much rain.' It was in this area that the "Trawallo" pastoral run was begun about 1838 by Robert Hamilton, James McGregor Hamilton and Kenneth William Kirkland. Mrs. Katherine Kirkland (nee Hamilton) later wrote an account of their pioneering days in her "Notes of a Residence in the Bush, by a Lady."
In 1841 "Trawallo" was taken over by Adolphus Goldsmith who had arrived at Port Phillip on 30 June 1841 on the 329 ton barque "Caroline" from England. Goldsmith was a London merchant who had got into financial difficulties and was seeking to establish himself as a pastoralist in Australia. He brought with him some staff, including Hatsell Garrard and a blacksmith named Thomas Hiscock, his wife Phoebe, and their two sons, Thomas and John. Goldsmith also brought livestock, including a yearling Durham bull, twelve Leicester rams, an entire Cleveland horse named 'Young Hero' and a thorough-bred horse named 'Cornborough.' During the voyage a mare, a cow and some rams had died.
'Young Hero,' was a genuine and pure Cleveland, 17 hands high, rich bay, with black points; of immense bone, power and substance, and capital action. He was got by 'Yorkshire Hero,' dam by 'Old Filderner;' 'Yorkshire Hero' by 'Killerby,' dam by Mr. Jones's celebrated coach stallion 'Surprise' by 'Luck's-All.' The imported thorough-bred horse, 'Cornborough' was by 'Tramp,' out of 'Miss Armstrong,' by 'Whisker,' brother to 'Whalebone,' her dam 'Stavely Lass,' by 'Hambletonian,' etc., etc. 'Tramp,' by 'Dick Andrews,' by 'Joe Andrews,' by 'Eclipse.' For successful performances and further pedigree, see Racing Calendars of 1837, 1838, and 1839, and Stud Book (vol. 4). At the time 'Cornborough' was believed to have been the only horse in the Colony that had actually won a race in England.
Goldsmith became an active member of the Pyrenees Turf Club and Hunts were also held at "Trawallo." He became a member of the Melbourne Club and was appointed a territorial magistrate on 26 March 1844.
In April 1846 he acquired the additional pastoral lease for "St. Helens," named after St. Helens on the Isle of Wight. This run was located on the south coast fronting Portland Bay between Port Fairy and Portland. In 1849 it contained about 25,000 acres with a capacity for 2,000 cattle. At the same time "Trawallo" contained an estimated 40,000 acres with a capacity for 200 cattle and 20,000 sheep.
A further horse was imported on the ship "Iris" in 1847. This was a racing stallion named 'Patchwork,' so named because of the singularity of his markings, being a bright bay, standing sixteen hands high. He was bred by Lord Exeter, in 1839, got by 'Muley Molock,' and he was a half-brother to the famous mares 'Alice Hawthorn,' 'Queen Mab,' etc. Unfortunately he became ill on the voyage out and died of inflammation of the lungs shortly after arriving in Melbourne.
In 1850 Goldsmith was active in organising actions to contain an outbreak of cattarrh in local flocks of sheep. On 19 August 1850 he sold his interest in the "St. Helens" run to Hatsell Garrard, John Alexander Gregory and Hatsell Mellersh Garrard.
About 1851 he acquired a further horse - 'Joe Banks' - bred by the Right Honorable Sydney Herbert by 'Wintonian' out of 'Walfruna,' 'Lucy Banks's' dam (vide Stud Book). 'Wintonian' by 'Camel' out of 'Monimia' by 'Muley' out of 'Sister to Petworth' by 'Precipitate' - 'Woodpecker' - 'Snap,' 'Walfruna' by 'Velocipede,' her dam 'Filho da Puta' - 'Dick Andrews.'
On 6 September 1851, following Port Phillip's Separation from New South Wales, he was elected the Member for Ripon, Hampden, Grenville and Polwarth in the new Legislative Council of Victoria.
In November 1853 he sold his interest in "Trawallo" to John and Robert Simson and resigned as a Member of the Legislative Council. On 30 November 1853, Adolphus Goldsmith and servant sailed on the 700 ton P. & O. steamship "Chusan" for Point de Galle, Ceylon en route to Europe. In France he rejoined his family who had resided there whilst he had been in Australia. On 1 July 1856 he was in Paris for the marriage of his only daughter, Amelie Henriette Goldsmith to Jules Auguste Michel, Count de la Salle, Captain of the Cent-Gardes of the Emperor of France.
Adolphus Goldsmith resided at the Chateau des Mazeraies in the Commune des Savournieres in the Department of Indre et Loire in France prior to his death on 15 March 1876 at 24 Rue de Berri, Paris, France.
Adolphus had been born on 6 May 1798 into a Jewish family from Hamburg, Germany. His education included a few years at the exclusive Harrow School in Middlesex, England. He was the son of Lion (or Lyon) Abraham Goldschmidt and his wife, Adelaide (Adelheid) Hertz. Lion worked in the London firm of merchant bankers, B. A. Goldsmith & Co., which had been founded and run by his brother Benjamin Abraham Goldschmidt. Following the death of Benjamin on 17 September 1813, Lion continued the firm as senior partner. When this firm failed in February 1826 Lion Goldschmidt was taken ill and died shortly afterwards on 18 February 1826 at the residence of his son-in-law, Park Crescent, London. He was buried on 21 February 1826 in the Brady Street Jewish Cemetery, London.
Though from a Jewish background, Adolphus Goldschmidt at least nominally embraced Christianity by being baptised into the Church of England. His name appears in the Parish Register of St. Laurence Poultney, London, ( which was at the time was combined with St Mary Abchurch ), on 13 March 1831. This was probably in preparation for his marriage on 18 April 1831 in Berlin, Germany to Jeannette Jacobson, the second daughter of the late S. Jacobson of Berlin, Germany.
On their return to London, Adolphus and Jeannette took up residence in apartments in a Lodging House at 23 Bury Street, St. James's, London. One evening they returned home at about 11.00 pm to find that someone had entered their apartments and robbed them of all their jewellery and valuables. Amongst the property stolen were diamonds, pearls, gold and coral necklaces, bracelets, rings, ear-rings, 90 louis-d'ors, 8 sovereigns and numerous other articles, the overall value amounting to about £900. As there had not been any forced entry suspicion fell upon a servant girl who had been seen speaking to an unknown young man near the front door earlier that evening. The girl denied having had such a conversation or having let anyone into the building. Though a few trifling articles of wearing apparel belonging to Mrs. Goldschmidt were found in her possession the police did not feel they had enough evidence to arrest her. Adolphus Goldschmidt offered a liberal reward for the discovery of the offenders and enquiries continued.
This robbery obviously had a devastating effect on Adolphus Goldschmidt's finances as, in June 1832, he and his business partners, Charles William Stokes and Edward Meyer, were forced into bankruptcy. They had occupied premises in Great Saint Helen's in the City of London as Merchants and Copartners. These bankruptcy proceedings continued for about ten years, though they appear to have been able to continue to engage in limited business activity during that time.
In August 1834 Adolphus and his extended family were able to take a holiday at Sheridan's Family Hotel, in Ryde on the Isle of Wight. They also took this opportunity to have their daughter, Amelie Goldschmidt, baptised at the Church of St. Thomas, Ryde on 17 August 1834.
Adolphus had a sister named Harriot (Henriette) who, in August 1823 had married Achille Marcus Fould who became a financier and politician in France. He rose to become Minister of Finance in Emperor Napoleon's Government.
Lake Goldsmith, near Beaufort, Victoria is today a lasting reminder of the time Adolphus Goldsmith spent in Australia.
List of Newsletter Articles |
Back to Home Page