Agnes Buntine (nee Davidson) was eighteen when she arrived in Port Phillip with her family, on the "Glenhuntly in April 1840. Agnes married widower Hugh Buntine in October 1840 and on hearing of Angus McMillan's discoveries of suitable land in Gippsland they moved there from the Merri Creek. Albert Alexander Buntine was born sixteen days after her arrival in Gippsland, and his baptism is recorded in the registers of the Rev. Edward Gifford Pryce. Hugh and Agnes set up a slab and bark public house, the 'Bush Inn' around 1845 when they moved to Bruthen Creek Station with a pastoral lease of over 8,000 acres. Agnes was not averse to hard work and was a bullock driver around eastern Victoria.
( From the "Davidson Family History" )
Contributed by Barbara Hawkins ( PPPG Member No. 990 )
List of Newsletter Articles |
Back to Home Page