PATRICK COSTELLO'S PIONEERING EXPERIENCES


"IN THE DAYS WHEN THE WORLD WAS WIDE"

(A Narrative of the Pioneering Experiences of Patrick Costello 1841-1856)

After leaving Captain Hepburn, I went to Melbourne. The streets of the Metropolis were laid out, but not made, and they presented a very different appearance from what they do at present.

There were then three butcher's shops, one was kept by Mr. Mortimer at the corner of Collins and Spencer Street; another by Mr. Crowley (Crossley), situate in Collins Street, between Swanston and Elizabeth Streets; and the other by Mr. Cronin (O'Connell?), at the corner of Flinders Lane and Swanston Street.

The saddlers were represented by Mr. Hamilton and Mr. Denworthy (Dinwoodie), both of Collins Street; and the cabinetmakers by Mr. Thwaits (Thwaites) of Collins Street. There were about eight Public Houses and two churches.

The pastor of the English church was the Rev. Mr. Thompson (Thomson) and that of the Catholic church the Rev. Father Geoghegan. The buildings were constructed mostly of boards and slabs, with shingle roofs; but a good many of the little shops occupied by the grocers, fruiterers, etc., in Collins Street were built of wattle and daub.

There was also a courthouse near the old market place, and not far from Spencer Street. It consisted of two small rooms. The presiding Magistrate was Singin (St. John). This was the Governor Latrobe's time in 1842.

There were no buses or trams then, but some time afterwards two cabs were brought overland from Sydney. Only the lower class of males and females, however, used these. The solitary carriage and pair to be seen was one belonging to a Mr. Kerr, who had a station on the Goulburn, but who resided near the Hawthorn punt. There was no population on the other side of the Yarra, with the execption of a couple of brickmakers.

(The above is an extract from Part III which appeared in the
"Ballarat Courier", 18th July 1896)

Contributed by Merren Saunders (PPPG Member No. 995)


List of Newsletter Articles  |  Back to Home Page