The following notice to mariners has been transmitted to Lloyd's
by the Harbour-Master at Melbourne, Port Phillip:-
-------------------- o o o --------------------
"After the 1st of August, 1840, a plain stationary light will be shown from sunset to sunrise from a lighthouse erected on the extremity of Gillibrand's Point, Williams-town, Hobson's-Bay, visible five leagues in clear weather from any safe position to the southward. The bearings by compass are as follows:-
"From the north end of the Western channel the anchorage at Williams-town bears N. 14 deg. E."
"From the north end of Symond's-channel the anchorage at William's-town bears N. 60 deg. E.
"From the north end of the Pinnace-channel, the anchorage at William's-town bears N. 5 deg. E."
"From the north end of the South-channel the anchorage at William's-town bears N. 6 deg. W."
The courses indicated will give vessels a fair berth from the shoal off Gillibrand's-point. Care must be taken after bringing the lighthouse to bear N. 22 deg. E. to N. 7 deg. E. 1½ mile. "After rounding the light and bringing to bear about S. 14 deg. W. 1 min. the anchor may be dropped in four fathoms water, in good holding ground of stiff clay and mud.
* * NB:- The south channel is un-navigable, its north end being filled up, having but 2½ fathoms of water at half flood, and extremely narrow.
Harbour Master's Office,
June 25, 1840"
Contributed by Merren Saunders (PPPG Member No. 995)
List of Newsletter Articles |
Back to Home Page